PROJECT "Evaluation of Components for Space Applications - ECSA " - contract No. 67/2013
Project title: Evaluation of Components for Space Applications
Project coordinator: National Institute for Laser, Plasma and Radiation Physics - INFLPR, Magurele, 409 .Atomistilor St, Ilfov County, RO-077125, Phone 00 421 457 44 89, fax 00 421 457 42 43, General Manger: Dr. Ion MORJAN, Chief Accounter: Ec.Mihaela OSMAN
P1: “Horia Hulubei” National Institute of Physics and Nuclear Engineering
Contracting Authority: Romanian Space Agency - ROSA
Project duration: 2013 - 2016
Project budget : 899.930 lei, public funding
Project goals and objectives:
The goal of the project is the evaluation of mid-R lasers and detectors degradation under various irradiation conditions for use in space missions.
Electrical, optical and electro-optical parameters will be investigated using the novel approach of laser-based radiometry. The change under radiation exposure of specific optical materials for mid-IR will be investigated. Photovoltaic and photoconductive detectors will be tested. Investigation plan
The project is based on the newly developed facility of the Photonics Investigation Laboratory (PhIL), part of the Center for Advanced Laser Technologies – CETAL, relying on last minute technologies employed in laser and optical sensors characterization.
Evaluation of QCLs performances operated under various irradiation conditions;
Evaluation of photoconductive IR detectors reliability under various irradiation conditions;
Evaluation of photovoltaic IR detectors reliability under various irradiation conditions;
Estimation of mid-IR optical components degradation under various irradiation conditions;
Development of a testing facility for mid-IR active and passive components.
The project outcomes are of interest to COST actions :
MP 1204 “TERA-MIR Radiation: Materials, Generation, Detection and Applications”
IC1101: “Optical Wireless Communications – An Emerging Technology”
Results obtained in each project year:
2014 - results
Literature research concerning the radiation effects on the materials and components to be tested
Market research for the procurement of the products and materials to be tested
Procurement of mid-IR optical materials to be tested: ZnSe, CaF2 , BaF2 , sapphire
Design of the setup for evaluation of spectral transmission and spectral reflectance in the visible, near-IR and mid-IR spectral range
Different types of mid-IR detectors (operating at room temperature and with thermoelectrically cooling), the associated pre-amplifiers and temperature controllers and accessories were ordered from two different manufactures
Laboratory staff was trained on the evaluation of mid-IR lasers characterization
Laboratory staff was trained on the evaluation of mid-IR detectors characterization
Laboratory staff was trained on the evaluation of mid-IR components characterization
One young researcher was awarded a fellowship to attend the „ Joint School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering and BM1205 and MP1204 COST Actions Training School in Terahertz, Mid Infrared and Millimetre Wave technology and its Application”
1. Mid-IR photoconductive and photovoltaic detectors, their accessories and driving units were purchased
2. A quantum cascade laser (QCL) and the driving unit were purchased
3. Setups for the evaluation of spectral transmittance and reflectance for IR windows were developed, operating in the spectral range 240 nm – 12 µm
4. Four types of IR windows were irradiated at gamma ray, proton, electron beam and alpha particles
5. The spectral characteristics of the irradiated windows were measured in the optical and THz range, and THz imaging was used for investigations
6. The dark signal nd the spectral responsivity of photovoltaic and photoconductive IR detectors were evaluated
7. Photovoltaic and photoconductive mid-IR detectors were tested under electron beam irradiation.
8. A young researcher (dr. Laura Mihai) spent 1 1/2 month at University of Bari to be trained on the use of QCLs.
9. The paper ""Testing of ZnSe , CaF2, BaF2, and sapphire windows under alpha particles irradiation" received the Best Poster Award at The 3rd International Conference and Exhibition on Lasers, Optics & Photonices 2015, Valencia, September 1-3, 2015, for "quality, novelty and significance”
10. D. Sporea had an invited talk on the project results and opportunities for collaboration at annual meeting of COST Action MP1307: Stable Next Generation Photovoltaics: Unraveling Degradation Mechanisms of Organic Solar Cells by Complementary Characterization Techniques, Vilnius, October 19– 20, 2015.
11. A young researcher (dr. Laura Mihai) obtained a fellowship to present the project results to the NATO ARW on THz Diagnostics of CBRN Efefcts and Detection of Explosives & CBRN, Izmir, November 3-6, 2015.
2016 - results
1. Research on the degradation of mid-IR detectors (photovoltaic and photoconductive) under electron beam irradiation
2. Research on the degradation of mid-IR detectors (photovoltaic and photoconductive) under gamma irradiation,
3. Research on the degradation of mid-IR detectors (photovoltaic and photoconductive) under proton.
4. Research on the degradation of mid-IR detectors (photovoltaic and photoconductive) under alpha particle irradiation.
5. Development of a setup for the characterization of quantum cascade lasers (current-voltage characteristic, spectral emission, wavelength, optical power, and their dependence on QCL case temperature.
6. A young researcher (dr. Laura Mihai) attended courses of the Summer School organized by COST Action MP 1401.
7. Research on the degradation of QCL under gamma irradiation.
8. Research on the degradation of QCL under proton irradiation.
9. Research on the degradation of QCL under electron beam irradiation.
10. Research on the degradation of QCL under alpha particle irradiation.
11. The paper "Electron beam irradiation of materials and components to be used in mid-IR spectroscopy", authors: Dan Sporea ; Laura Mihai ; Adelina Sporea ; Gabriela Crăciun ; Elena Mănăilă, Proc. SPIE 9899, Optical Sensing and Detection IV, 98990O (April 29, 2016); doi:10.1117/12.2230234 is cited on the blog of TeraView company (http://terahertzspectroscopyandimaging.blogspot.ro/2016/05/electron-beam-irradiation-of-materials.html).
12. The paper "Optical and THz investigations of mid-IR materials exposed to alpha particle irradiation", autori: D. Sporea, L. Mihai, A. Sporea, I. Vâţã, Scientific Reports, 40209 (2017), doi:10.1038/srep40209, is cited on the Internet page of Skight Optics Co., Ltd. (http://www.skightoptics.com/html_info/news-11.html).
Published papers and conference presentations
1. Dan Sporea, Adelina Sporea, Laura Mihai, Andrei Stancalie, "The ECSA project", in Proc. 2014 16th International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks (ICTON), doi: 10.1109/ICTON.2014.6876656..
2. P. Patimisco, L. Mihai, M. Giglio, A. Sampaolo, P. P. Calabrese, J. M. Kriesel, D. Sporea, G. Scamarcio, F. K. Tittel, V. Spagnolo, "Hollow-core waveguide for single-mode laser beam propagation in the spectral range of 3.7-7.3 µm ", Proc. SPIE 9755, Quantum Sensing and Nano Electronics and Photonics XIII, 97552M (February 13, 2016); doi:10.1117/12.2209533; http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.2209533.
3. P. Patimisco, A. Sampaolo, L. Mihai, M. Giglio, J. Kriesel, D. Sporea, G. Scamarcio, F. K. Tittel, V. Spagnolo, "Low-loss coupling of quantum cascade lasers into hollow-core waveguides with single-mode output in the 3.7–7.6 µm spectral range", Sensors 2016, 16, 533; doi:10.3390/s16040533.
4. D. Sporea, L. Mihai, A. Sporea, G. Craciun, E. Manaila, "Electron beam irradiation of materials and components to be used in mid-IR spectroscopy", Proc. SPIE 9899, Optical Sensing and Detection IV, 98990O (April 29, 2016), doi:10.1117/12.2230234; http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.2230234.
5. D. Sporea, L. Mihai, A. Sporea, Y. Galagan, "Optical and THz reflectance investigations of organic solar cells", Proc. SPIE 9898, Photonics for Solar Energy Systems VI, 989814 (April 29, 2016); doi:10.1117/12.2230693; http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.2230693.
6. D. Sporea, A. Sporea (2016). Radiation effects in optical materials and photonic devices, Radiation Effects in Materials, Dr. Waldemar Alfredo Monteiro (Ed.), pp. 37- 67, InTech, (2016).
7. D. Sporea, L. Mihai, A. Sporea, D. Ighigeanu, D. Neguţ. "Assessment of mid-IR components for spaceborne instrumentation: Radiation tests." In Metrology for Aerospace (MetroAeroSpace), 2016 IEEE, pp. 308-313. IEEE, 2016.
8. D. Sporea, L. Mihai, A. Sporea, I. Vâţã, "Optical and THz investigations of mid-IR materials exposed to alpha particle irradiation", Scientific Reports, 40209 (2017), doi:10.1038/srep40209.
9. D. Sporea, L. Mihai, M. Straticiuc, I. Burducea, P. Bleotu, "Proton irradiation tests of quantum cascade lasers", Proc. IEEE International Conference on Advanced Materials for Science and Engineering (ICAMSE) doi: 10.1109/ICAMSE.2016.7840363.
10. D. Sporea, L. Mihai, A. Sporea, D. Ighigeanu, D. Negut, "Optical and THz evaluation of components for gas sensing spectroscopy in hazardous environments", in THz Diagnostics of CBRN Effects and Detection of Explosives & CBRN , Pereira M. and Shulika, O. (Eds.), Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 63-69 (2017).
11. P. Bleotu, L. Mihai, D. Spoarea, "Setup for quantum cascade lasers characterisation using the LabVIEW programming environment", Romanian Reports in Physics, vol. 70, Number 3, 2018.
12. L. Mihai, D. Sporea, A. Sporea, M. Straticiuc, I. Burducea, "Effects of protons radiation on mid-IR QCL's", NATO ARW, M. Pereira (Ed.), Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, in print.
1. Patent application A/00380/ 08.06.2015,, D. Sporea, A. Sporea, L. Mihai, Method and equipment for the evaluation of spectral responsivity of IR detectors subjected to ionizing radiation (patent application).
European Space Agency, http://www.esa.int/ESA
Romanian Space Agency, http://www.rosa.ro/index.php/en.html
COST Action MP 1204 “TERA-MIR Radiation: Materials, Generation, Detection and Applications, http://www.tera-mir.org/
Project Director contact details: Dr. Dan SPOREA, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, mobil : 0040745 75 95 45