Project title: Photonics devices under extreme operating conditions
Project duration: January 2017 - June 2018
Contract: 24PED/ 2017
Project budget: 597.613
Financing body: The project is financially supported by
Unitatea Executiva pentru Finantarea Invatamantului Superior, a Cercetarii, Dezvoltarii si Inovarii (UEFISCDI)
Contractor : Institutul National pentru Fizica Laserilor, Plasmei si Radiatiei
Project coordinator: Dr. Dan Sporea
Project summary and objectives:
The goal of the PHOENIX project is to develop and test several demonstration models (laboratory measuring setups), and to prepare appropriate procedures in order to provide services for the evaluation of ionizing radiations effects on: (i) organic solar cells (organic photovoltaics - OPV) and (ii) silicon photomultipliers (SiPM), to assess their reliability for possible use in space missions. The developed setups will be used for OPVs and SiPMs off-line testing, these devices being exposed in different sessions to: (i) gamma-ray, (ii) electron beam, (iii) alpha particles, and (iv) protons. Optical, electrical and optoelectronic characteristics will be measured by pre and post irradiation tests, for various irradiation conditions. The project Coordinator will cooperate with partners from The Netherlands and Germany , who are manufactures of such components. In this way the project will contribute, through its results, to Romania's participation to COST Actions: (i) MP1307, Stable Next-Generation Photovoltaics: Unraveling degradation mechanisms of Organic Solar Cells by complementary characterization techniques - StableNextSol and (ii) TD1401, Fast Advanced Scintillator Timing - FAST which gathers communities interested into the subject. Innovative optical and THz spectroscopy methods will be used for the evaluation of radiation induced changes in the investigated devices.
- Horia Hulubei National Institute of Physics and Nuclear Engineering, Magurele, Romania
- Institute of Physics , ASCR, v.v.i., Prague, Czech Republic
- VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, Oulu, Finland
- KETEK GmbH, Munich, Germany
- TNO , HOLST Center, Eindhoven , Netherlands
- Instituto de Telecomunicacoes, Instituto Superior Tecnico, Lisbon, Portugal
- Institute of Physics, Universität der Bundeswehr München, Neubiberg, Germany
- Institute of Experimental Physics, Universität Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
- Optical Reseach Center (ORC), Tampere University of Technology (Finland)
- Suzhou Institute of Nano-Tech and Nano-Bionics (China)
- Hong Kong Baptist University (Hong Kong)
- Fluxim AG (Switzerland)
- Bar Ilan University (Israel)
Phase I implementation (2017)
During the Phase I the following activities were carried out:
- Equipments for the characterization of solar cells and SiPMs were purchased;
- Several laboratory setups have been developed for the complex characterization of the aforementioned components;
- The characterization (electrical, optical and THz measurements) of the investigated components, before the irradiation sessions and after each intermediate irradiation step, was performed;
- Organic solar cells and SiPMs were irradiated, for different fluences or total doses;
- Materials composing organic solar cells have been characterized and irradiated separately
- Laboratory setups were developed for the evaluation of components to be investigated.
NB: Some of the measurements were done in collaboration with European partners.
Laboratory experimental setups and results
a ........................................................ ...................................... b
Fig.1. Laboratory setup for the evaluation of SiPMs: a - components for the control of intensity and wavelength of the optical excitation signal; b - setup for dark current measurement.
Fig. 2. Signal at the SiPM output for an illumination equivalent to 1 p.e. ............................... ......... Fig.3. Optical attenuation of some materials used in organic solar cells.
Fig.4. Characterization by THz imaging of optical materials used in organic solar cells.
Fig.5. Results of organic solar cells by THz imaging.
Additional setups and results
Project Phase II implementation (2018)
During the Phase II the following activities were carried out:
- Additional irradiation tests were carried out on SiPMs;
- The international cooperation was extended by running tests on solar cells in collaboration with groups from China, Hong Kong, Switzerland;
- The final meeting of the COST Action TD1401 was organized in Bucharest, dr. Sporea acting as co-chair of the event and dr. Stancalie being co-chair to a meeting section
- A procedure for the evaluation of ionizing radiation effects on SiPMs was developed.
- A procedure for the evaluation of ionizing radiation effects on organic solar cells was developed.
- Tests on organic solar cells, SiPMs and specific materials under ionizing radiation were carried out.
- Our paper "Proton irradiation induced changes in glass and polyethylene terephthalate substrates for photovoltaic solar cells" is referred to on the THz equipment manufacture's web page at: http://terahertzspectroscopyandimaging.blogspot.com/
- Dr. Andrei Stancalie was awarded by COST Action TD1401 a Short-Term Scientific Mission (STSM) at KETEK GmbH where he performed tests on gamma-ray and electron irradiated SiPMs.
- Dr. Andrei Stancalie was awarded by COST Action TD1401 a Short-Term Scientific Mission (STSM) at Institute of Experimental Physics, Universität Hamburg, Germany where he performed tests on proton and alpha particles irradiated SiPMs.
- Dr. Laura Mihai received financial support from COST Action MP1307 to present project results at Industrial Day - Printed Electronics and Solar Cells, Lisbon, April 6-7, 2017.
- Dr. Andrei Stancalie was awarded by COST Action TD1401 financial support to attend the SCINT Summer School - Scintillating Materials and their Applications, Chamonix, September 14-17, 2017.
- Dr. D Sporea delivered an invited talk at the 2018 International Workshop on Photonic Fibres and Applications, held at Shanghai University, May 5-7, 2018.
- Dr. D. Sporea chaired the "Optical fiber properties and radiation-induced effects" at the 2018 International Workshop on Photonic Fibres and Applications, held at Shanghai University, May 5-7, 2018.
- Poudel, I. Dmitrieva, R. Gumenyuk, L. Mihai , D. Sporea , O. Muresan , I. Rusen , T. Hakkarainen, N. G. Boetti, T. Niemi, L. Petit , Effect of ZnO addition and of alpha particle irradiation on various properties of Er 3+ , Yb 3+ doped phosphate glasses, Appl. Sci., vol. 7 , 1094 (2017), doi:10.3390/app7101094.
- J. Cermak, L. Mihai , D. Sporea, Y. Galagan,
J. Fait, A. Artemenko, B. Rezek, M. Straticiuc, I. Burducea,
Proton irradiation induced changes in glass and polyethylene terephthalate substrates for photovoltaic solar cells, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 186, 284–290 (2018), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2018.06.046.
Conference and workshop contributions
- D. Sporea , E. Engelmann, T. Ganka, F. Wiest, Testing facilities to support FAST COST Action, FAST meeting, January 23-24, 2017, Lisbon, Potugal.
- E. Engelmann, F. Wiest, P. Iskra, W. Hansch, D. Sporea , A. Stancalie , D. Negut , Tests of KETEK PM1150T SiPM under low-dose 60Co gamma-irradiation, 4 th FAST management meeting, March 24, 2017, Larnaca, Cyprus.
- L. Mihai , D. Sporea , I. Vata , M. Straticiuc , I. Burducea , J. Cermák, B. Rezek, Y. Galagan, Proton and alpha particles effects on different glass and polymers substrates, Industrial Day - Printed Electronics and Solar Cells, April 7, 2017, Lisbon, Portugal.
- L. Mihai , D. Sporea , J. Farinhas, A. Charas, Study of organic cells layers based on cross-linked poly(fluorene-alt-bithiophene) using THz imaging, Industrial Day - Printed Electronics and Solar Cells, April 7, 2017, Lisbon, Portugal.
- E. Engelmann, F. Wiest, D. Sporea , A. Stancalie , D. Negut , S. Vinogradov, E. Popova, W. Hansch, E. Garutti, Investigation of radiation hardness of SiPM using the effect of hot carrier luminescence, New Developments in Photodetection, 3-7 June, 2017, Tours, France
- A. Stancalie , D.Sporea , D.Negut , E. Engelmann, F.Wiest, P. Iskra, W.Hansch, Investigation on gamma radiation defects induced in KETEK silicon photomultipliers produced by different technologies, Conferinta Facultatii de Fizica, June 19, 2017 , Bucharest, Romania.
- L. Petit, N. Ojha, L. Mihai , D. Sporea , O. Muresan , I. Rusen, Irradiation with alpha particles of Yb 3+ and Er 3+ co-doped phosphate glasses, COST Action MP1401 Technical and MC Meeting, Jena, 18-20 September, 2017, Germany.
- A. Stancalie , D.Sporea , D.Ighigeanu , E. Engelmann, F.Wiest, P. Iskra, W.Hansh, Electron beam radiation defects induced in KETEK PM3350 silicon photomultipliers, 14th Int. Conference on Scintillating Materials and their Applications - SCINT 2017, 18-22 September 2017, Chamonix, France.
- D. Sporea , L. Mihai , A. Stancalie , A. Sporea , Optical materials, components and devices testing under ionizing radiation, COST TD1401, Fast Advanced Scintillator Timing - FAST meeting, 17 October 2017, Torun, Poland.
- D. Sporea , L. Miha, D. Ighigeanu, O. Muresan, I. Rusen, D. Negut, M. Straticiuc, I. Burducea, Y. Galagan, Degradation of organic solar cells under ionizing radiation exposure, ISOS-10, 18-20 October 2017, Malta.
- L. Mihai , D. Sporea, D. Negut , L. Nita, L. Yan, Y. Wang, C-Q. Ma,
Piperazine doping effect in P3HT:PC 61 BM solar cells against gamma irradiation, Stability of Emerging Photovoltaics from Fundamental to Applications, February 20-23, 2018, Barcelona, Spain.
- L. Mihai, A. Sporea, D. Sporea, Laboratory infrastructure for calibration of equipments used in solar cells evaluation, Stability of Emerging Photovoltaics from Fundamental to Applications, February 20-23, 2018, Barcelona, Spain.
- J. Cermak, L. Mihai , D. Sporea, Y. Galagan, M. Straticiuc, I. Burducea, Proton irradiation hardness of glass and polymer substrates for
solar cells, Stability of Emerging Photovoltaics from Fundamental to Applications, February 20-23, 2018, Barcelona, Spain.
- A. Stancalie, Radiation effects on KETEK SiPM produced by different technologies, COST Action TD1401 meeting, March 8-9, 2018, Bucharest, Romania.
- L. Mihai,
The effects of ionizing radiation on different types of materials and optoelectronic devices, COST Action TD1401 meeting, March 8-9, 2018, Bucharest, Romania.
- I. Burducea, L, Mihai, A. Stancalie, D. Sporea, R. Andrei, D. Iancu, M Straticiuc, Radiation hardness tests of optoelectronic devices at IFIN-HH, COST Action TD1401 meeting, March 8-9, 2018, Bucharest, Romania.
- R. Sen, O. Muresan, N. G. Boetti, D. Sporea, L. Mihai, I. Rusen, L. Petit, Alpha particle irradiation on various properties of Er3+, Yb3+ doped phosphate glasses, Photonics Europe 2018, paper
10683-120, 22 - 26 April 2018, Strasbourg, France
- D. Sporea, L. Mihai, A. Stancalie, A. Sporea, Photonic materials and devices in ionizing radiation environments, 2018 International Workshop on Photonic Fibres and Applications, May 5-7, 2018, Shanghai, China.
- D. Sporea, L. Mihai, A. Stancălie, A. Sporea, Ionizing radiation effects in optical materials, COST Action TD1401 - FAST WG2 Meeting, 14 June, 2018, Prague, Czech Republic.
- L. Mihai, D. Sporea, M Straticiuc, I. Burducea, L. Petit, R. Sen, "Effects of protons particles on Yb3+, Er3+ co-doped phosphate glasses", COST Action MP1401 -
"Advanced fibre laser and coherent source as tools for society, manufacturing and lifescience" Annual Conference October 24-26, 2018, Warsaw, Poland..